CAUTION: Consult a lawyer before using any of these forms. No expressed or implied warranty or representation is made that any of these forms will meet your legal needs.

These forms are for use in district court. Some Texas counties conduct family matters in county court. Some courts have local rules that could affect use of these forms. A lawyer can tell you if one of these forms will work for you.   You can speak to a parenting time specialist through the Access and Visitation hotline from 1:00-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at 1 (866) 292-4636. Spanish-speaking parenting time specialists are also available.

This website will give you information about making your way through the court system, but it is important to remember that the information provided is basic, general information only and may not cover everything that is involved in your case.

Do-it-yourself forms may be found at – Free Court Forms – Free Family Law forms – Free Custody or Visitation forms

Protective Order kit (available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese) – Free Protective Order Kit

English: Texas Judicial Branch – Protective Order Kit

Spanish: Poder Judicial Texas – Orden de Proteccion

Having trouble finding what you are looking for or need help deciding what you need on

Click the link below to chat with a person from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, except after hours or on most federal holidays. – Live Chat

Forms from the Office of the Attorney General (OAG)

Child Support Forms

Other Useful Forms

Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs or an Appeal Bond.

The Statement may be used to file papers with the court clerk without paying a filing fee. Use this form if you cannot afford to pay court fees because you have a very low income. Fees may or may not be waived. It is up to the Judge to decide whether to waive the court costs. The Judge may ask for a hearing to decide whether you are unable to pay the court costs.  Since not all forms require a fee, ask the clerk if the document you want to file requires a fee.  Click this link Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs or an Appeal Bond.

Motion for Mediation

Motion for Mediation is a form that can be filed with the clerk once a lawsuit has been filed. The parties can agree to mediate or one or both parties may request the court to order it.

File the Motion for Mediation together with the Mediation Order (contact local law library).

Motion for Social Study

The social study is a court-ordered investigation of the circumstances and home life of the parents and the child. It is usually conducted by a social worker, who will visit the home of each parent and interview the child, the parents, and other persons involved in the child’s life. When the investigation is finished, the social worker will write a recommendation to the court about the child’ best interest, including where the child should primarily live and the parenting time schedule that would be best. The parties are usually ordered to each pay half of the cost of the social study.

Motion for Temporary Orders

File this form when you and the other party cannot agree to a temporary arrangement for parenting, child support, or other issues before the final hearing date.

Order of Referral to Mediation

The Order of Referral to Mediation is an order the judge signs after ordering the parties into mediation. A Motion for Mediation is typically required before a judge will order the parties into mediation.

Waiver of Service

Court papers must be served on the person being sued unless that person waives their right to service of the papers by signing the Waiver of Service form in front of a notary public. This form indicates that you waive your right to have court papers served on you. Read the waiver carefully to make sure that you understand the rights that are being waived.