Frequently Asked Questions

Visitation for Non Conservator Parents

When can I see my child?

There is no set rule regarding a non-conservator parent’s access and visitation rights. A non-conservator is a non-parent (friend or relative) whom the court has appointed conservator of a child. Check with your attorney, if you have one, for more information. If you do not have an attorney, click here to get help finding an attorney, or call the Access and Visitation hotline toll free at 1 (866) 292-4636, Monday through Friday between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Can I still be required to pay child support?

I am a non-conservator parent. Can I still be required to pay child support? Yes. The Texas Family Code states that a court can order a parent not appointed as a managing or a possessory conservator to perform “other parental duties,” including paying child support.

Do I have access to medical records, school records, or other records of the child?

Unless the court has specifically limited your right to these records, you can access them without regard to whether the order gives you the right. This is also true of dental records, psychological records, and educational records.

Take a copy of the court order with you when you try to access records.

The other parent or caregiver is not letting me see the child. What can I do?

If the court order lists you as possessory conservator/NCP and you believe the other parent or caregiver is violating your parenting time/visitation rights, read about enforcing visitation rights.